By Stephen Ippolito | December 14h, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020 was the first time since 2009 that Marvel Studios did not release a film in a calendar year. However, as we saw in Disney’s Investor Day last Thursday, the shutdown will not slow down the Marvel machine from pumping out MCU films/shows in the coming years.
According to a document available on The Walt Disney Company site, in 2021 Marvel Studios will release 9 projects (10 if you count Spider-Man 3 that’s jointly produced with Sony). And in 2022, that number could jump to 11, which includes an astonishing 5 films.
Of course, this could change at any time. Blade, which is listed undated in 2022, is one of those that could potentially move. At the moment, the film has no director or writer attached to it, so there’s a chance it might not be ready in time. Also with 5 films coming out in 2022, Marvel might want to spread their slate out and move it to 2023. During Disney’s Investor Day, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige did say that announcements for the film are “coming soon.” So there is a chance it could be ready for 2022.
Disney clearly realizes the value of Marvel Studios and its popularity not just in the U.S. but around the world. With 12 MCU-related shows slated to hit their streaming service Disney+ over the next two years, there counting on its popularity to boost their subscribers to insanely high numbers.
Check out what’s coming out in 2021-22 below:
- WandaVision, January 15, 2021 (Disney+)
- The Falcon and Winter Soldier, March 19, 2021 (Disney+)
- Black Widow, May 6, 2021 (Theaters)
- Loki, May, 2021 (Disney+)
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, July 9, 2021 (Theaters)
- What If…?, Summer 2021 (Disney+)
- Hawkeye, Late 2021 (Disney+)
- Ms. Marvel, Late 2021 (Disney+)
- Eternals, November 5, 2021 (Theaters)
- Spider-Man 3, December 17, 2021 (Theaters)
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, March 25, 2022 (Theaters)
- Thor: Love and Thunder, May 6, 2022 (Theaters)
- Black Panther II, July 8, 2022 (Theaters)
- Captain Marvel 2, November 11, 2022 (Theaters)
- Blade, Late 2022 (Theaters)
- Moon Knight, 2022 (Disney+)
- She-Hulk, 2022 (Disney+)
- Secret Invasion, 2022 (Disney+)
- Armor Wars, 2022 (Disney+)
- Ironheart, 2022 (Disney+)
- The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special, Late 2022 (Disney+)